- AWIS National Site
- AWIS Magazine: provides graduate and professional career, work/life balance, and mentoring advice in addition to articles of interest on various other topics
- AWIS Teleseminars and Webinars
- AWIS and AWIS Chicago LinkedIn and Facebook Groups
Additional Scientific Organizations for Women in the Chicago Area
- University of Chicago Women in Science
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), University of Illinois at Chicago
- American Association of University Women – Illinois Chapter
- National Organization for Women – Chicago Chapter
- Ann Ida Gannon, Center for Women and Leadership, Loyola University
- The Society of Women Engineers, Chicago Regional Section
- Women in Science and Technology (WIST), Argonne National Laboratories
- University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division Postdoctoral Association
- Northwestern University Office of Post-doctoral Affairs
- American Chemical Society Chicago Chapter
- Listing of National Professional Societies and Organizations for Women in Science from the National Institutes of Health
- Join the Illinois Women’s Health Registry: The Institute for Women’s Health Research at Northwestern University has developed the Registry to improve our understanding of women’s health status in Illinois by tracking general trends over time and to identify a pool of women who are interested in participating in important research to advance women’s health.
Funding and Program Opportunities
- AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowships
- AAAS Mass Media Science and Engineering Fellows Program
- ARCS Foundation: national women’s organization that is dedicated to raising money for scholarships for students from outstanding colleges and universities majoring in the natural sciences, engineering and medicine.
- Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH): provides information, support and funding opportunities for women and women’s health researchers
- NIH Research and Training Opportunities
- The RAISE Project: Recognition of the Achievements of Women in Science, Engineering Mathematics and Medicine (RAISE) provides numerous awards and funding opportunities.
Tools for Job/Program Searching and Career Advice Resources
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Masters Degree Online
- ScienceCareers.org (check out their Twitter feed!)
- NatureJobs (check out their Twitter feed!)
- SCI: Science Career Investigation from iBio (http://www.finding-your-future.org/)
- Career Trends Away From the Bench booklet
- Career Trends: The Informed Job Search booklet
- 2009 Science Career Basics
- Career Advice for Life Scientists Vol. I & II PDF booklet (published by American Society for Cell Biology: Women in Cell Biology): highly recommended reading providing information on giving presentations, finding a mentor, finding a post-doc, etc. from multiple perspectives.
- Mind Matters Column on ScienceCareers.com. Great advice on issues faced by young researchers that are not openly discussed in the laboratory.
- Sloan Career Cornerstone Science Careers podcast
- Science Careers podcast
- Nature Jobs podcast
Chicago Area Science Institutes and Programming
- Chicago Council on Science and Technology (C2ST)
- Illinois Science Council
- Project Exploration: provides outreach opportunities and training for women interested in education/youth programs
- iBIO: Illinois Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Healthcare Businesswoman’s Association (HBA) Chicago Chapter
Chicago Area Science Companies
- Abbott Laboratories
- Dade Behring/Siemens
- Illinois State Police-Forensic Science Division
- Kraft Foods
- Ovation Pharmaceuticals
- Takeda/Tap Pharmaceuticals
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
Selected Science Podcasts
(links below will allow you to subscribe to RSS feeds or lead to sites to download individual podcasts)
- Scientific American
- The Naked Scientist podcast
- Science @ NASA Feature Stories
- National Public Radio (NPR) (podcasts on a variety of subjects)
- NPR Science Fridays
- Futures in Biotech
- Technology Review: Biomedicine
- This Week in Virology
- American Chemical Society: Chemical Biology
- Popular Mechanics (science, technology and popular stories)
- New York Times Science Times and Tech Talk
- The Guardian Science Weekly
- The Guardian Tech Weekly
- PBS NOVA and ScienceNow
- CBC Quirks and Quarks
- Discovery Channel Radio
- The National Academies: Sounds of Science
- The Chicago Guide to Your Career in Science: A Toolkit for Students and Postdocs. Authors: Victor A. Bloomfield and Esam E. El-Fakahany, from Univesity of Chicago Press.
- Women of Science: Righting the Record, 1990.
G Kass-Simon and Patricia Farnes Eds. Univ. of Indiana Press, Indianapolis, IN.
- Back to School: Five Myths About Girls and Science
- Does Gender Matter? The suggestion that women are not advancing in science because of innate inability is being taken seriously by some high-profile academics. Ben A. Barres explains what is wrong with the hypothesis.
- Getting to Yes : Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
Roger Fisher, William L. Ury, William Ury, Bruce Patton, William Ury
- Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office : 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers. Authors: Jane Lead and Lois P. Frankel
Want to keep yourself up-to-date on AWIS Chicago activities? Follow AWIS Chicago on Twitter! You can request to be added to our listserve by clicking here, and join the AWIS Chicago group on LinkedIn and Facebook by clicking the icons on the bottom right of this page.